Northtown MUD Logo Frequently Asked Questions
Northtown MUD Home Page MUD Board of Directors Utility Service and Rate Information District Parks and Trails District Maps MUD Documents, Announcements and Other Publications Photographs Around the District Links and Telephone Numbers of Interest
Frequently Asked Questions

About the Northtown Municipal Utility District
What is the Northtown Municipal Utility District?

The Northtown Municipal Utility District was created in 1985. Its approximately 1224 acres lie just east of Interstate 35 between Austin and Pflugerville, bounded by Howard Lane to the south and Highway 685/Dessau Road to the east.

The district includes the Northtown Park, Meadow Pointe, Wildflower, Settler's Meadow (The Trails at Sunset Ridge), The Lakes at Northtown, and the Brookfield neighborhoods, several parks, a hike and bike trail, and still has room to grow. Future development may include multi-family residences, light retail, and even a fire/EMS station.

Who runs the district?

You do! The Northtown MUD is governed by a Board of Directors. The five elected directors contract with several professional companies and specialists to provide management, billing, legal, financial, engineering, maintenance and other services to the district.

For questions about legal aspects of the MUD you can contact the District's Legal Assistant Deborah Pederson at (512) 435-2352 or send an email to

When and where does the Board meet?

The Northtown MUD Board of Directors meets on the 4th Tuesday of each month at the Northtown MUD Administrative Office, located at 700 E. Wells Branch Parkway. These meetings are open to the public and begin at 5:45 p.m.

About Residential Service
What services does the district provide?

The Northtown MUD provides water and wastewater (sewer) services, solid waste (trash) and recycling pickup, parks maintenance and upkeep, and enforcement of restrictive covenants (deed restrictions.)

What do these services cost?

The district's basic service fee includes the water connection, solid waste pickup, and the first 1,000 gallons of wastewater. Charges for water usage are based on the number of gallons used and are broken into several rate categories. Detailed information about the district's residential and commercial policies, rates, fees and service charges may be found in the district's Rate Order.

Where do I pay my bill?

Your Northtown MUD utility payment should be mailed to the address on the bill. You can also pay your bill in person at the offices of Crossroads Utility Services. For your convenience, a payment dropbox is provided at the Northtown MUD Administrative Office, 700 E. Wells Branch Parkway.

How do I apply to set up service?

Apply at the Crossroads Utility Services offices for water, wastewater and solid waste services.

What does it cost to establish service?

New customers must complete an application and pay a deposit to establish service. This security deposit will be refunded when the account is closed and there is no balance due. There is also a non-refundable application fee.

What does it cost to restore service if it is disconnected?

If your residential utility service is terminated for non-payment you must pay a $40 reconnection fee and an additional security deposit of $150 for each termination before service will be restored. These fees and deposits apply if you fail to pay all past-due amounts by the time and date specified on the notice of disconnection, even if your service has not been physically disconnected.

What are the district's business hours?

The district's management offices at Crossroads Utility Services are open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Emergency service calls to 335-7580 are answered 24 hours a day.

Who do I contact if I have a billing or service question?

Contact the District's management office at (512) 246-1400 or you can send an email to email Manager

Who do I contact if I see or suspect a water leak?

Call the district's management offices at (512) 246-1400 as soon as possible.

What about electricity and other services?

For most Northtown residences, the electric services are provided by the City of Austin and are not controlled or managed by the district. A choice of carriers may be available to residents living closest to Pflugerville.

Other services, such as telephone, cable and residential gas, are likewise provided by local utilities which are distinct and separate from the district.

What about solid waste (trash) pickup and recycling?

Solid waste is picked up on Fridays. When you sign up for water service the District's solid waste contractor (Texas Disposal Systems) is notified that you are a new customer and will deliver your trash bin. You should call TDS at 421-1340 if you need more than one garbage container or have other questions about trash or recycling. TDS has created a recycling guidelines poster (.pdf) that illustrates what they will and will not accept for recycling.

About Northtown Neighborhood Parks and Trails
Does the district have any recreational facilities?

The district owns and maintains several parks. Stoney Creek Park, in Northtown Park, is the district's largest facility. It features playscapes, picnic tables, a sand volleyball court, a disc golf course and a pavilion with restrooms. Smaller parks in Meadow Pointe and Wildflower feature playscapes and picnic tables and are tied together by an extensive hike and bike trail which wanders through some beautiful undeveloped countryside. Additional parks and recreation facilities will be added as the district continues to develop.

Are there any rules governing these facilities?

The district has established some simple rules to ensure that its parks and trails are safe and enjoyable.

Is there anyone I can contact if I have a question or comment about the parks?

Contact the District Office at (512) 716-0759 or send an email to

About Restrictive Covenants (Deed Restrictions)
I'm confused about deed restrictions, Homeowners/Neighborhood Associations, and so on. Who can I contact for answers?

You can write or email the District's Covenant Coordinator with any questions about deed restrictions, homeowners associations, neighborhood associations, architectural control or violation notices.

About Security
Is my neighborhood safe? How about the parks?

You are living in immediate proximity to a major metropolitan center. That means you are close to good things and bad things. Overall, however, the Northtown neighborhoods are safe and peaceful places to live and raise a family.

The Northtown MUD contracts with off-duty officers from the Travis County Sheriff's Department to provide additional patrols of neighborhood streets and parks. Having these officers in Northtown is a lot like having a neighborhood police department.

About Hazardous Waste Spills and Pollution
I'm concerned about the environment. What should I do if I see or hear about a waste spill or someone storing hazardous materials in the District?

You can report any pollution concerns or sightings to the State of Texas Spill Reporting Hotline at 1-800-832-8224.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) has a webpage for additional information and resources on spills.

Details on the District's policies and procedures can be found in its Stormwater Management Plan.

Home | MUD Board | Utilities | Parks | Maps | FAQs | Documents | Pictures | Links
Contact the Webmaster with your comments, suggestions or complaints about this site.